According to UK regulators 40% of online green claims are potentially misleading.
The Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) has introduced the new green claims code, to help companies avoid greenwashing. The code features six overarching principles that all environmental claims must adhere to:
· Be truthful and accurate.
· Be clear and unambiguous.
· Not omit or hide important relevant information.
· If they make comparisons, ensure they are fair and meaningful.
· Consider the full life cycle of the product or service.
· Be substantiated.
As businesses take steps to become greener, they are understandably keen to convey the changes they are making to their stakeholders. If you’d like help to ensure your company avoids accusations of greenwashing, get in touch, the TerraVerde team can advise and support you.
Read the full guidance here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/green-claims-code-making-environmental-claims