We each eat one credit card of plastic each week!
According to Sebastien Bazin the Chairman & CEO of Accor.
Last month 32 new signatories joined Accor and were added to The Global Tourism Plastics Initiative, each committing to:
- Eliminate problematic or unnecessary plastic packaging and items;
- Take action to move from single-use to reuse models or reusable alternatives;
- (Engage the value chain to) move towards 100% of plastic packaging to be reusable, recyclable, or compostable;
- Take action to increase the amount of recycled content across all plastic packaging and items used;
- Collaborate and invest to increase the recycling and composting rates for plastics; and
- Report publicly and annually on progress made towards these targets.
The initiative created by The World Tourism Organization (UNWTO), recognises the scale of the problem that plastic pollution in tourism poses and aims to promote collaboration across the whole of the tourism value chain. Bringing real hope that the sector can rise to the challenge and transitions to a more sustainable model on plastics.